Game Log: IRAN vs PHILIPPINES and some post game thoughts
July 28, 2007 by Christian Angelo Jacinto
- Just got home from school, one minute into the first quarter, Iran up by 6 (16 – 10). Caguioa is fouled by Musan, makes 1 of 2 freethrows. Lane violation called against Iran, Mark makes the extra freethrow, RP down by four (16 -12)
– Samad nails a three pointer, then fouls Norwood on the other side of the court. Norwood makes both freethrows. RP down by 5 (19 – 14).
– Menk fouls number 12, but misses both freethrows. Williams and Caguioa misses, number 13 misses for Iran, then Norwood misses a slam at the buzzer. Man, he could’ve gone for an easy layup.
FIRST QUARTER OVER, IRAN 19 PHILIPPINES 14
Note: RP out rebounded IRAN by 7 (16 – 9)
– Iran starts with a miss, rebound Caguioa, Kerby misses, Samad scores on a spin, Iran up by 7 (21 – 14)
– Raymundo is blocked again. Excellent defense by Iran. Caguioa is fouled by the other Bahrami, Caguioa makes both freethrows. Iran by 5
– Another foul on Menk, beautiful penetration by Kamrani, misses one of two. Iran by 6 (22 – 16)
– Caguioa misses, ball back to Iran, Iran misses a three, great defense by Team RP. Alapag misses another three, and Norwood is called for a foul. Taulava back in the game, then was called for a foul. Man, this El hadadi guy us huge.
– Unsportsmanlike foul on Dondon Hontiveros, Iran misses one of two freethrows. Then Samad scores on a layup. Iran now up by 9 (25 – 16). Caguioa turns the ball over, another foul for team Pilipinas. We’re on the penalty.
– El hadadi nails one of two freethrows, yet again another turnover for team Pilipinas, Iran again is fouled on the fastbreak. Timeout Team Pilipinas.
Note: They’re pressured tsk tsk.
– Iran makes one of two, Alapag responds with a three, Iran up by 8 (27 -19). Offensive foul on El hadadi. That’s it guys, that’s it.
– Raymundo misses a heartbreaker. Another foul on Team Pilipinas, Second for Kirby.
– Samad misses both. Thank God for missed freethrows.
– Foul on Aidin, Danny Seigle scores. Iran still up by 6.
– Nice defense for team RP, Hontiveros misses on a fastbreak layup. Turnover for Iran. Timeout IRAN
Note: They’re playing better defense now. Actually, great defense for Team RP. Tough luck, we’ve missed three point blank range shots now, the score could’ve been tied.
– Three misses in one posession for Team RP. Samad misses a three, Dorhadi called for a looseball foul. Iran in the penalty.
– Hontiveros nails both freethrows. Iran misses, Seigle called for a travelling.
– Another stop for Team RP, Another turnover for Team RP, Penissi called for a foul.
– Ammini misses both freethrows again. THANK GOD FOR MISSED FREETHROWS.
– Seigle fishes the foul on Samad. His THIRD. Seigle makes both. 27 – 25, Iran.
– Iran scores on a putback, Another turnover for Team Pilipinas.
– Samad misses a three, Penissi called for a looseball foul. Timeout Philippines.
– Two misses for Iran, Lane violation called against Team RP, but IRAN MISSES AGAIN.
– Seigle misses again, Mark Caguioa called for a foul with 1.1 seconds left.
– Kamranni makes one of two.
SECOND QUARTER OVER IRAN 30 PHILIPPINES 25
Note: After having a shaky start, Team Pilipinas finally overcame those jitters. I think they’re playing good defense, but they have to limit their turnovers if they want to win this game.
Rebounding story: 29 – 19 for RP
Turnovers: 13 RP 9 Iran
2 point FGs: 6/17 Iran 3/21 RP
Freethrows: 6/21 Iran 13/17 RP
3 point FGs: 4/11 Iran 2/7 RP
Leading Scorers: Samad Bahrami 14 points for Iran, Mark Caguioa 7 points for Team RP
START OF THE THIRD QUARTER
– RP opens with a miss and so as Iran. Four misses for Team RP in one possesion, Iran scores on a fastbreak.
– Caguioa misses again, the ball goes back to team RP. Another miss for Team Pilipinas, Bahrami nails a three. Ten point lead for Iran.
– Another miss for Team Pilipinas, Seigle back in the game. Iran misses, Caguioa misses a three, Seigle recovers the ball but Norwood turns it over. Fastbreak layup for Iran. Iran now up by 12.
– Alapag misses again, another fastbreak layup for Iran. They’re now up by 14 (39 – 25)
– Team Pilipinas timeout
– Seigle picks up a foul on Aidin. Fourth for him. Two straight misses for RP, Great recovery by Norwood, Asi scores with a foul. Asi makes the freethrow. Iran up by 11 (39 – 28)
– Foul on Norwood, El hadadi misses, Norwood on a strong penetration, El hadadi is called for a foul, fourth for him too.
– Norwood converts both, Beautiful penetration for Iran. Iran up by 11.
– Seigle fishes another foul, but he is blocked, Iran responds with a turnover.
– Norwood is now playing the point, Foul for Iran, Asi to shoot two freethrows.
– Two missed freethrows for Taulava, and another transition basket for Iran, Daivari completes the three point play. They’re now up by 14.
– Seigle misses again, Iran turns the ball over. Oshin fouls Raymundo, Kerby drains both. Iran by 12.
– Hontiveros called for a foul, his third, Iran misses, Hontiveros counters with a miss, a heart breaking miss by the way, and Samad scores again.
– Ritualo misses a three, Taulava and Caguioa back on the floor. Iran misses a three, Caguioa called for a looseball foul.
– Iran misses again, Raymundo’s pass is intercepted, then is called for an unsportsmanlike foul. Samad nails one of two freethrows. Iran by 15
– Raymundo attacks, fishes a foul on the number 4 guy. Raymundo nails both. Iran by 13.
– Iran misses a three, 50 seconds to go, Alapag misses again and a foul is called against Raymundo. Woah, talking about bad bad shooting. tsk.
– Ali sinks one of two freethrows, Iran by 14
– Another missed shot and another unsportsmanlike foul on Team Pilipinas. Goodness, miserable, just miserable.
– Daivari makes one of two, Norwood commits another foul.
– Samad nails both, 17 point lead for Iran. Caguioa misses, Asi follows up.
End of third quarter IRAN 51 PHILIPPINES 36
Note: Man, talking about bad shooting. Add to it that Iran is getting most of their points on transition baskets. That’s like, WTF? Come on, we still have one full quarter to go. After three quarters, Philippines has only nailed 7/48. 15 percent shooting. Yes, you’ve heard it right, 15 freaking percent.
Start of third
– Iran misses two shots.
BAD NEWS GUYS, ASI SPRAINED HIS ANKLE. WHAT COULD BE WORSE?
- Another in and out shot for Seigle. HORRIBLE SHOOTING. HORRIBLE
– Daivari fouls Alapag, Alapag nails both freethrows.
– Norwood picks up another foul, Iran misses, Alapag responds with a three. Iran up by 10
– Great defense for Team RP, but bad boxing out for them. Talking about Asi’s loss.
– Hadadi nails both freethrows. Iran by 12
– Turnover for Team Pilipinas, ANOTHER FASTBREAK SHOT FOR IRAN.
– Another miss. Another miss. HORRIBLE
– Seigle scores but is down. He is suffering from cramps.
– Caguioa fouls out. Three freethrows for Aidin. He makes two of three, Iran by 14
– Alapag nails a three, Iran by 11
– WOW, talking about breaking the press. Samad nails another layup, Penissi scores a three. Iran by 10.
– Norwood fouls out, 5:41 to go. 10 point lead for Iran.
– Penissi drains another three. That’s the way to do it Mick. YEAH! Iran by 7
– Timeout Iran. All they need is one stop. A stop and a basket here could change the momentum.
– They’re now on a press. TURNOVER AGAINST IRAN. Raymundo is fouled.
– Raymundo nails both, lead down to 5. 4:50 to go.
– Samad scores on a layup. Feck
– Raymundo again is fouled. Hadadi fouls out
– Kerby makes 1 of 2. RP down by 6
– TURNOVER FOR IRAN, UNSPORTSMANLIKE FOUL FOR IRAN. FOUR MINUTES TO GO!! This one’s not over folks.
– Jayjay nails two freethrows. We’re only down by four.
– Raymundo misses, another turnover for IRAN.
– Penissi misses the three, but RAYMUNDO RECOVERS AND IS FOULED. Man, this guy is amazing.
– Raymundo misses one of two. Three point lead for IRAN. 3 minutes to go.
– Helterbrand fouls with 1 second to go in the shot clock. Tough luck.
– Aidin misses one, Penissi is called for a looseball.
– Aidin makes one, Iran by 5
– Williams scores on a putback Iran only by 3
BAD NEWS: ALAPAG IS DOWN
- Iran misses, Raymundo scores again! IRAN ONLY BY ONE
– Karamy responds with a three.
– Williams is fouled, One of two for Kelly. Iran by 3. TURNOVER!! 1 minute and 37 seconds to go!
NOTE: PILIPINAS IS SHOOTING 14/63 from the field. A horrible 22 percent.
- FIVE SECOND VIOLATION FOR TEAM PILIPINAS. BAD BREAK. AND A FOUL
– Karamy misses one of two. Four point lead for Iran
– BASKET COUNTS FOR KERBY RAYMUNDO!! 1:21 to go. YOU’RE THE KID!
– Kerby completes the threepoint play, 1:19 to go. But Ritualo fouls.
– Karamy nails both Iran by 3
– KERBY IS AGAIN FOULED! THAT’S THE WAY TO DO IT!
– Kerby nails both, 1 point lead for IRAN BUT A TECHNICAL FOUL FOR THOSE SMELLY ARABS! FOR EFFSAKES WHY COMPLAIN?!?
– Iran nails both. their up by 3
– STEAL! Helterbrand is fouled, two freethrows for Jayjay.
– Jayjay nails one of two, two point lead for Iran.
– BACKDOOR PLAY AND A DUNK. FOUR POINT LEAD FOR IRAN.
– Aidin nails one, rebound for Iran Pilipinas fouls, one of two freethrow for Samad.
– Penissi misses, It’s over. 75 – 69 for Iran
First up, their shooting. If they’re going to shoot 25% from the field, without much ball movement, don’t ever expect a win from them. Where’s the ball movement that we’ve shown in the jones cup and manila invitationals? Ball movement, issue number one.
Second, why complain? You’re team is down by one, you have the momentum on your side and then you complain for a missed call? What’s the point? That was a bad bad decision in the part of coach Chot Reyes.
Lastly, they’ve played good defense. But those mental lapses especially in the game were huge. Helterbrand’s foul and turnover, Ritualo’s foul on the backcourt and of course Coach Chot’s technical foul. Those were huge. Humongous.
Raymundo played great by the way, give credit to where credit is due. He showed one hell of a fight out there, Great effort man.
Well, tomorrow they’re up against China, They have three players down (Taulava, Seigle and Alapag) Let’s just hope for the best and continue to pray for our national team.