PBA Team Owners’ Meeting, Minutes of the Meeting
PBA Commissioner Chito Salud confirmed that there will be a meeting of team owners on Jan. 25 at the Club Filipino in San Juan. Likely to be there are San Miguel Corps. President Ramon Ang, Manny V. Pangilinan of Talk Nâ€™ Text and Meralco, Rain orÂ Shineâ€™s Terry Que and Raymund Yu, George Chua of Barako Bull, Bert Lina of Air21, JB Baylon of Powerade and Fred Uytengsu of Alaska.
Like I did in the past, I have the ability to see as to what could possibly be the things to be said. Here’s the advanced minutes of meeting.
Commissioner Salud: Ok let’s get this thing going. Who wants to open the floor?
Ramon Ang: Since I own the most teams and I have the most championships, let me welcome you all for coming here. Let get this out of the way though, SMC is expanding its business interests, from petroleum to shawarma stalls, any of you guys want to sell your company to us?
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers)
Ramon Ang: No, I am serious.
Terry Que to Raymund Yu: (Are we on the red? Are we for sale?)
Commissioner Salud: Speaking serious, guys lets get real serious. We have 3 things to discuss. Top of the agenda today is building a PBA Coliseum. Can we really get this thing done?
Bert Lina of Air21: Yeah, let’s build it, I’ll handle the logistics!
JB Baylon: Since former-Atty, former-commissioner, now twitter-savvy Noli Eala days, we’ve already been talking about this PBA gym. But to do this, we need real commitment from us owners and continuity. We will not be able to this if we continue to change our commissioner every 2 years and and PBA chairman, every year. A stable leadership will result in better PBA financial condition. And, long-termed commissioner & chairman of 3 years is needed, enough for them to lead the way into building a coliseum in a three year span. Ok?
JB Baylon: I nominate myself to be the Chairman!
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers)
JB Baylon: Ok, I am just kidding Fred. Let’s get this thing rolling. We need a billion. Who’s willing to shell out 200 million now? To get the foundation done then we will figure out how to get added funds thru bank loans and each team chipping in ten million each per year of the 3 year span. Ok, 200 million, who got 200 million?
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: He sneers, then talks to his wife (yes Mrs. Uytengsu in the house) “Hon, building a coliseum is only a third of the problem, finishing it is another third of the problem. And the final third, making it profitable. Imagine all teams own the friggin coliseum. Who gets to run the coliseum and who’s to decide on big things to make this billion pesos structure a money making machine.” Joaqui Trillo (he is there too) claps in agreement! Then Joaqui asks the other people in the meeting room to clap the way he asks Alaska fans to say “A – LAS – KA! A – LAS – KA!
JB Baylon: Nobody? Ok, with no 200 million pesos, no hectare land, no host city that can give us good tax relief, I guess we should move on to the next agenda.
Commissioner Salud: Wait JB, why are you holding court, isn’t it my job to lead this kind of PBA meeting.
JB Baylon: Who told you so?
Commissioner Salud: My dad.
JB Baylon: Ah ok, shoot. Here’s a great refreshment, Coca Cola to cool you down.
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers, then says “that’s a free plug!”)
Commissioner Salud: Thank you JB. Ok guys, any plans on what to do with our TV coveror.
Bert Lina: Let’s build a TV station, I’ll handle the logistics!
George Chua: I like your enthusiasm Bert but after the contract of Solar expires let’s just have a bidding among major TV stations.
Bert Lina: Ok, but is ABC 5 paid already with PBA?
Manny Pangilinan: I support the AZKALS!
Bert Lina: That’s not the topic Mr. Pangilinan.
Manny Pangilinan: I support the badminton. I support the Gilas.
Bert Lina: Whatever. If ABC 5 is unpaid, that makes Studio 23, Ch 4, Ch 9, Ch 13 as probable destinations.
Ramon Ang: I like Channel 13. Then let’s have another basketball show featuring Chino Trinidad and Anthony Suntay, like in the old Vintage days, that would be awesome.
Bert Lina: Let’s invite Chiqui Roa too!
George Chua: Request guys, can we ask our TV coveror to hire the following: Randy Sacdalan, Magoo Marjon, Luigi Trillo, Ramon Fernandez & Peaches Aberin.
Joaqui Trillo : (Interjects) I agree George, Luigi definitely is super knowledgeable and talks with a lot of sense.
Commissioner Salud: Um, this is team owners’ meeting Joaqui.
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers)
Commissioner Salud: Ok, consensus is PBA coverage is for rebid. Next up, what to with the national team?
JB Baylon: Let’s hear Mr. Smart Gilas himself, Mr. Pangilinan, he got his hands on that.
Manny Pangilinan: Honestly guys, I dunno what the plan is right now. I’ll talk to Noli Eala soon and see where we are at. As soon as Noli done tweeting, he said, he’ll do his presentation.
JB Baylon: Rest assured Mr. Pangilinan, our company will always support the national team, in spirit and in funds, just as long as you call the team Philippine Powerade!
Commissioner Salud: Ok, so that’s it. Let’s wait for SBP’s Noli Eala report and act on this. But may I suggest, if the SBP will also do bunot-bunot system from PBA teams, and pick 4 to 5 players from PBA, what is the sense of having a developmental team? Why not for one last time, let’s try forming a PBA national, super team and after that, if really nothing happens, let’s go back to SBP’s plan. Besides, I’d like to see Chris Tiu in the PBA, I am really intrigued as to what he can do in the PBA, playing full-time. (Have you seen Tiu’s Milo commercial? This guy is a power dunker!)
Terry Que and Raymund Yu: In duet, ok 3 topics done! But guys, can we talk about the unfair & lopsided trades that’s been going on for years?
Bert Lina: Wait, I got phone call to make.
George Chua: Me too, let me grab some Barako Bull in the fridge.
Manny V. Pangilinan: Wait, I got a graduation speech to proof-read.
Ramon Ang: Nahhhh Terry & Raymund, we got other things important to talk about. BTW, Manny, hows the power sector doing, we really want to be in play with that. (Manny Pangilinan & Ramon Ang discuss business things)
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers)
Terry Que and Raymund Yu: (To Ramon Ang) But sir? Balance of the league hinges on that. Not to mention the salary cap rule, is this being followed?
Ramon Ang: (Gets his smartphone, calls his finance chief, I’d like to buy a paint company. I think that’s a good business to be in, construction business is on the upside.)
Commissioner Salud: Terry, we need to set another meet for that. Figuring out salary cap & numbers will eat a lot of time. Ok, so guys I’ll set another meeting for now lets call this a wrap.
JB Baylon: Yeah, yeah, (holding coke-in-can) cheers to a productive meeting!
Fred Uytengsu in batik long sleeves: (Sneers)
Nike and Kobe Bryant announced the debut of the Nike Zoom Kobe VI, a performance basketball shoe inspired by Bryantâ€™s on-court alter ego, the Black Mamba. The design draws cues from the fearsome snake and incorporates key performance elements in a low-profile shoe that weighs just 10.6 ounces in a menâ€™s US size 9.
â€œThe Kobe VI is a very character driven shoe with the alter ego of the Black Mamba prominently featured,â€ said Bryant. â€œWe continue to evolve the technology to make it a performance based shoe, but aesthetically you havenâ€™t seen a shoe pop like this before. It brings to life what drives me.â€
Nike Performance Footwear Creative Director Eric Avar led a team of creatives who worked with Bryant to bring the Black Mamba to life in the Nike Zoom Kobe VI. The shoeâ€™s upper features unique polyurethane â€œislandsâ€ that emulate a snakeâ€™s skin and increase or decrease in size throughout the shoe to protect against abrasion and increase durability exactly where needed. To add a lighthearted spin and play off the reptileâ€™s deadly venom, â€œVenomenonâ€ is inscribed on the front outsole.
â€œThe Black Mamba to Kobe means being one of the deadliest predators on the planet,â€ Avar said. â€œThatâ€™s his approach to every game â€“ heâ€™s very calculating and heâ€™s very quick.â€
A customized fit
Bryant challenged designers to build a shoe with amazing fit. Nike responded with an innovative dual-layer memory foam sockliner that conforms to the foot for a one-of-a-kind custom fit. A Phylon injected midsole adds cushioning for a more anatomically correct fit, and Nike Zoom units in the heel and forefoot provide additional comfort on court.
To emphasize Bryantâ€™s lethal on-court play, Nikeâ€™s team of designers built off the success of the Nike Zoom Kobe V shoeâ€™s lightweight, low-cut profile. This yearâ€™s shoe features reduced midsole thickness to keep the foot closer to the ground for improved stability and better court feel. The shoe fulfills Bryantâ€™s desire for a true low-top, similar to that of a running shoe or soccer boot, with a low collar design.
The basketball shoe also employs Nikeâ€™s innovative Flywire technology in a new, three-layer construction. Inside the shoe a layer of mesh lines the foot, followed by a layer of Flywire and topped off by another layer of breathable mesh with polyurethane islands for abrasion resistance. This unique construction is lighter, more breathable and more conformable to the foot than previous Flywire designs in the Kobe series.
To ensure excellent traction, the Nike Zoom Kobe VI has a solid rubber outsole with a Black Mamba inspired modified herringbone pattern. Certain China editions of the shoe include XDR, or Extra Durable Rubber, for sustained durability against the rough surfaces of outdoor basketball courts.
Blending science and art
The Nike Zoom Kobe VI emerged directly from conversations between Nikeâ€™s team and Bryant to ensure the shoe best suited his singular style of play.
â€œI always talk about good design being a balance between science and art, and one of the great things about working with Kobe is he always grounds every conversation in that concept, starting with the science,â€ said Avar.
The Nike Zoom Kobe VI launches in retail stores on December 26, 2010 in select Nike stores nationwide. The Kobe VI will retail at P6,995.
Some comments, some links, some news, some sports, some life…
All these and more inside HooPh’s December Twitterathon….
- who’s better, russel westbrook or rajon rondo? deron or paul? tough picks eh?
- both teams considered to break 72-10 are slumping. heat & lakers. a lot are happy.
- Former GMU star Gabe Norwood lives out basketball dream in the Philippines http://goo.gl/wEY6X
- http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_overtime/2010/12/01/20101201_barkley_conan.nba/ fat man on tall man.
- you missed this post? http://hoops.blink.ph/2009/03/14/the-solar-crunch/
- if abs-cbn gets the PBA, TJ manotoc would be on twitter 24/7. i can guarantee you that. TJ 24/7 twiterathon thats a positive right?
- http://goo.gl/gbIyt i told you, “Solar Sports hasnâ€™t been tested for the long haul” circa 2008.
- The most searched sports star on Yahoo! search engine for the year 2010 is… Manny Pacquiao!
- Solar, ABS-CBN mull PBA coverage partnership http://goo.gl/pjIUZ ah ok.
- if this cavs heat game goes blowout early, hostile party is over.
- http://goo.gl/0yo9W I Could Knock Out Manny Pacquiao – marky mark. thats if pacman is tied. i can KO wahlberg too if he’s hogtied.
- Erin Barry: I DID NOT Have Affair with Tony Parker http://goo.gl/z1Juv
- Susunod… Walker sued for Stealing Dude’s FiancÃ©e http://goo.gl/fj4Vn
- if alex cabagnot is not the best PG in the PBA, at least he owns the softest hair in all of PBA!
- speaking of hair, joe devance holds the record for the biggest afro of any local pba player, history-wide.
- when allan caidic fires his three, he raises his hand and awaits the swish, when arwind fires, his frigin chasin his own mis,offensive reb.
- kobe will get a gym named after him in philie. will there be a lebron gym in St. Vincent’s St. Mary’s High 10 years from now?
- philippines overtakes india as call center of the world, is that an upgrade from “text center of the world”? basta daldalan, pinoy is champ!
- http://goo.gl/rp5Rj The Filipino Kraken Cometh: Junmar Fajardo
- http://goo.gl/5Efrw vp binay tells us, magsipaan na lang tayo!
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLCV59n2Qo la tenorio does a gilbert arenas walk away after hitting the game winner.
- sampras memorabillas & trophies were stolen. you’ve been warned andre, take care of yours! including your mullet wig!
- Chinese basketball league to open with NBA bang http://news.ph.msn.com/sports/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4510715
- sly stallone into boxing hall of fame. next up, carl weathers and Mr. T.
- does mark nelson have a t-shirt? he’s always without one. il start a campaign, t-shirt for marc movement. sign on.
- freeman playing for patriots. freeman. patriots.
- He’s as fast as they come, but if I hit him with a left hand, he’s going to go to sleep for a little while – wahlberg on pacman.
- did you see khan? i like khan but only a fool will feed khan to pacman or maywaether. he barely got by maidana.
- mike cortez is the andre miller of the phils. he just want to score, esp out of the team’s offensive set.
- right now, mvp is the mvp of philippines sports. (jst curious tho, who is richer between the two mannys? pangilinan or pacquiao?)
- been reading a lot about the azkals team. theyr the hottest thing in phil sports. but not hotter than maggie wilson’s pre nup video!
- im watching american ninja over at cinemax, i am telling you, @sporstguy33 looks like michael dudikoff.
- The machine shall be missed!
- Basketball in Spoelstraâ€™s blood http://filamstar.net/index.php?id=2697
- yesterday marlou said, so i guess ill take my scooping talents to barako.
- dear santa, i hope they’ll put shot clock violation in foot ball.
- basketball football similarity no.1 – floppers exist.
- great effort more patience on offense next time. para rin palang baskeball ang soccer, lots of solo moves for the phils.
- our consolation in this game against indo, their president looks liky a brgy kagawad. our president is cute!
- but i noticed,not too many are up in arms w/ the presence of fil-foreign players.pag hoops team is too loaded with filams. its a diff story
- http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2010/12/crispa-files.html the crispa files @ free darko.
- lebron james is like RT-ing justin bieber’s tweet. thats just like say, robert jaworski retweeting atong redillas tweet in 1991.
- Phil Jackson says his hometown school also named a gym after him, but “I didn’t pay $400,000 for them to do it.”
- Anthony Pettis Kick On Ben Henderson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U75rQ4OE0os
- new magic, arenas pg, jason richardson sg, hedo forward 1, bass forward 2, center howard. thats an upgrade.
- to the indons… gusto nyo basketball na lang eh. o boksing.
- sikat na football eh? but i want to play basketball today. im inspired to play today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPS_0C6R304
- Best Chinese Hurdler Around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1ozG3WPUM
- come to think of it, hubert webb missed the entire pba pro career of brother jason webb. thats how long he was jailed.
- what hubert missed? jason webb stats: 1155 steals, 33,215 bullet chest passes, 5423 hustle plays, and 3215 rim clankers.
- soccer is like sex, it takes endurance and a little luck to score 4 times in 90 minutes
- http://goo.gl/xMyJc One of the Greatest â€œFat Guyâ€ Moments in NFL History
- ogilvy – nike gave me philips headphone. thanks! buy nike! (waiting for greenbulbpr turn) hehe.
- willing willie is mashup of kapwa ko mahal ko and kwarta o kahon.
- nangyari na ba na pag sinabi ng best player na “pwede bumati?” di pumayag yung courtside reporter.
- on pacman vs mosley, defending the choice, arum said style makes fight. how about, DOLLARS make fight?
- who in the nba can play serious soccer? kobe? nash?
- i mean does larry brown planning on coaching all nba teams?
- Graham Limâ€™s diary http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php/sports/24749-graham-lims-diary.html
- The Greatest Letter Ever Printed On NFL Team Letterhead http://goo.gl/19TnB
- the NEW post at espn, kobe vs lebron clutchness is OLD. thats been goin on for years. lebron wins a ring, then he is in clutch discusion.
- soccer is like sex, the more you do it, the more youâ€™ll be addicted to it
- i bought a basketball goal and ball sa tobys. junior baskeball lang, ayoko kasi mapagod! (hindi MASKOT, sobra liit nun.)
- actually hindi ko sa tobys binili. sinabi ko lang tobys para madali magets. sa raon binili, a store delivered the junior hoops goal.
- read on pex that @liadcruz will soon go abc5 fulltime. means no more BTV plugs and top ten? no more lia pwenster makefaces? awwww! :-(
- steve kerr: “if i am phx, ill let lebron do low post the whole game, that’s not really his game” ouch
- detlef shrempf 80′s = die hard terrorist. detlef shrempf today = eric roberts!
- fyi – not all sports show roundtable discussions are done on round tables.
- daim, may “c” pala sa schrempf. that surname is hard to spell. his german ancestors could have chosen an easier name, like maybe HIT-LER.
- lebron james christmas gift to the National Basketball Players Association, insinuating contraction.
- kobe – lebron piece on espn. again. by adande. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=kobelebron-101224
- santa make the lakers win this christmas day game. so i can have 500 pesos.
- i guess stern will drop lakers next chirstmas sched. another no show for lakers.
- what if cuban resigned nash then, and dirk & nash peaked together in dallas, they get 1 ring at least.
- on the other hand, if its christmas games, ginebra rules!
- jong & cone not shaking hands is actually good for the pba. mas ok ang laban pag may asaran. walang sport-sport sa, um, sports.
- http://bit.ly/gE1pvk tribute to coach ron.
- 2010 miss universe swimsuit segment on starworld now. ok nuff with the nba christmas marathon.
Thereâ€™s no stopping the World Harvest Sports Ministries team from the United States led by Tom Randall in coming to Lanao del Norte for an exhibition game against a local team composed of former players of Lanao del Norte Royals on January 5, 2011 at the MCC gym, Sagadan, Tubod, this province.
The Royals Basketball Team is one of the top squads in the now defunct Mindanao Visayas Basketball Association (MVBA).
The MVBA is a community-based amateur commercial basketball league in Southern Philippines sanctioned by the country’s National Sports Association for basketball, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).
Provo Antisapado Jr, coordinator of the World Harvest Sports Ministries Philippines, emphasized that this incoming event will benefit local basketball enthusiasts in gaining more exposure and experience against international players.
He added that this event will also radiate â€œthe peacefulness and friendship in the midst of negative perception by people outside Mindanao.â€
The US team also plans to visit provinces of Bukidnon and Misamis Occidental for a game of basketball.
Lanao del Norte Sports Coordinator Nelson Lasola said, â€œOur players are already ready to put on a good show as they go against these foreign players.â€
The basketball event is another sporting activity supported by the provincial government headed by Governor Khalid Dimaporo.
Dimaporo has been involved in promoting various sports like motocross, bodybuilding and basketball.
The young Governor is determined to make this fast-rising province in northern Mindanao become the preferred sporting destination in the country. (MAC/PIO-LDN)
After the AZKALS breakthrough, could it be the year when football explodes in the Philippines? A lot of things have to happen though for soccer to finally be a mainstream sports and a source of pride for the Filipinos. And at the same time, for soccer be like basketball and be a sports entertainment spectacle in the Philippines like in Europe, the Americas, etc.
Funding from private corporations, individuals, and sports bodies; dedicated and expert TV coveror; nonstop media blitz (print, TV, internet); some more blue chip fil-foreigners while maintaining fair count of pure Filipino soccer players; continuous international exposure; an organized league even; and finally, a friggin football stadium that meets even the South East Asian level football standards!
AND PLEASE STOP THIS POWER STRUGGLE AMONGST THESE SUPPOSED-TO-BE-LEADERS!
I only watched soccer for full games during that away-away series and I must say, the goals may be few and sometimes none at all, but there’s something beautiful in the game of soccer.
I will be watching the development and will make futbol.blink.ph when the need arises. :-) (Oh wait, we can’t even fill this hoops blog anymore. Ok, scratching out that futbol blog.)
To cap it, I have some lines and I think that soccer is wonderful game and I can’t stop myself from comparing SOCCER vs SEX:
- soccer is like sex, it takes endurance and a little luck to score 4 times in 90 minutes
- soccer is like sex, the more you do it, the more you’ll be addicted to it
- soccer is like sex, having big butt is a plus
- soccer is like sex, sometimes you have to fake it
- soccer is like sex, “helmet” is not required
- soccer is like sex, the more positions you play, the longer you’ll be in play
- soccer is like sex, you can go on for an hour of playing without using your hands
- soccer is like sex, before the goal, there is this intense build up of few seconds and the whole place explodes
- soccer is like sex, when working as a team, you’ll enjoy it even more
- soccer is like sex, sometimes you’ll need coaching to get the job done
- soccer is like sex, sometimes you have to pay up to get the best performer
- soccer is like sex, there is this move called “header”
- soccer is like sex, if you have the contract to play for a particular team, you are not allowed to play elsewhere
- soccer is like sex, rough tactic and you’ll eventually see the prize (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CxXnqEdhQg)
- soccer is like sex, did you see the euphoria of the Indonesians after the scored goals? looks like 80,000 people having “O’s”
By the way, there is a Top 50 version of this article. You can catch that along with most of my works at www.sydrified.blogspot.com.
One of my latest works was when I rated the best FHM Philippines cover girls!
You should read that.
The best individual performers of the current PBA conference are pitted mano y mano. We know who the top teams are but do you have any idea who the top players are?
If you play PBFANTASY, you may have used these players because of their stats or you might have been saving them for future use. Chances are, you yourselves know about the calibre of these superstars.
Interested parties should take a look at this!
Game starts now!
25 MARK ISIP / MERALCO (FORMERLY BARAKO BULL) â€“ After posting career-highs of 16.3ppg and 6.7rpg, Isip alongside Reed Juntilla was traded to the Meralco Bolts for Pong Escobal, Khasim Mirza, and Ford Arao. Commissioner Chito Salud however nixed the idea. Good call Commish! But with Meralcoâ€™s insistence, the Bolts finally got their wish. Hopefully Isip can still have the playing time for his breakout season!
24 ROGER YAP / B-MEG â€“ The guy took a backseat as Jonas Villanueva impressed the Llamado hopefuls. The win streak happened though when R-Yap reclaimed his throne. From listless, BMEG returned to their fiery selves!
23 GABE NORWOOD / RAIN OR SHINE â€“ This is a place Norwood shouldnâ€™t be in. His numbers are down (11.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 3.7apg, and 2.0spg) and the team is starving of a leader. Perhaps this is the time for Gabe to give himself more scoring opportunities?
22 RICO MAIERHOFER / B-MEG â€“ He became B-MEGâ€™s focal point in terms of inside action with the injuries that blacklisted the services of Kerby Raymundo, Rafi Reavis, and Marc Pingris. Sure, Pingris is back but expect Maierhofer to still get the bulk of the minutes thanks to his 10.8rpg.
21 LA TENORIO / ALASKA â€“ A struggling LA Tenorio something that Tim Cone shouldnâ€™t want but at the moment, this is what he needs to look at! While his rebounds (5.4rpg) and assists (4.4apg) dimmed normal, what he needs to pick up is his scoring (11.2ppg).
20 JAMES YAP / B-MEG â€“ He started out injured and was the object of the opposing teamâ€™s defense which is normal considering that he is the reigning MVP. While he has yet to have his usual numbers, King James seems to be back in fighting form.
19 RONJAY BUENAFE / AIR21 â€“ Ronjay is a slasher but in the conference we saw his tremendous range as well as his ability to become a streaky scorer. His 17.2ppg average could have ballooned after a game where he nailed eight triples.
18 CHRIS ROSS / MERALCO â€“ Ross is finally taking over. The reason why he was picked third in the 2009 draft just got realized after a putting in strong numbers for the Bolts. His 9.1ppg, 5.5rpg, 5.8apg, and 1.8spg are all career-highs!
17 CYRUS BAGUIO / ALASKA â€“ Skyrus seems too quiet. Sure, you can see his occasional speed burst en route to a slash but with the Aces threading towards dangerous waters, it is time for Alaskaâ€™s resident daredevil to catch fire.
16 GABBY ESPINAS / MERALCO â€“ He loves to grab the ball and take his defender to school. If that fails, then heâ€™ll get the rebound and try it all over again. Espinas is putting the numbers that Asi Taulava should be contributing. Currently he norms 13.4ppg and 8.3rpg.
15 SOL MERCADO / RAIN OR SHINE â€“ Injuries constantly hurt him and there was a time that Caloy Garcia bugged the hell out of him. It seems the spat is over but the injuries continue to nag. Even in his Asian Games stint, he failed to help the squad awesomely because of his health issues.
14 SONNY THOSS / ALASKA â€“ The Boss started out strong and while his points and rebounding has ballooned (11.8ppg and 9.5rpg), it has yet to help the struggling Aces. They will count on him if they want to evade early elimination.
13 DONDON HONTIVEROS / SAN MIGUEL â€“ The Cebuano Hotshot continues to be a scoring overload despite his age. He can still attack the basket and can occasionally drain those monstrous troikas. His 15.6ppg ranks second for the Beermen.
12 RUDY HATFIELD / GINEBRA â€“ The guy is made for the run-and-gun offense. Sure, he is small for his position but he makes up for his deficiency by becoming a house on fire. He ranks second in the league in rebounding (11.7rpg) and he ranks fourth in his team in terms of points (8.4ppg).
11 KELLY WILLIAMS / TALK N TEXT â€“ Representing the Philippines in the recently-concluded Asian Games, Machine Gun Kelly is expected to step up his offense come playoff time. Despite having 12.3ppg and 8.7rpg, these numbers are less than stellar with regards to K-Will.
10 MACMAC CARDONA / MERALCO â€“ He should be the saving grace of the franchise but it took him a while before securing his spot as the Boltsâ€™ top dog. While his 18.9ppg could be considered â€œlowâ€, what he needs to do now is to evolve as a team leader.
9 GARY DAVID / POWERADE â€“ He is Poweradeâ€™s almost-exclusive source for points and somehow he likes it. At 22.5ppg, he is the leagueâ€™s most explosive scorer. However, the burden of being the lone scoring figure made it difficult for the Tigers to book a seat to the playoffs.
8 RABEH AL-HUSSAINI / AIR21 â€“ The race for Top Rookie should safely land in the hands of Rabeh with the way he is playing right now. Considering that he is ranked high despite Air21â€™s struggles is a reason enough to give Rabeh the vote. Also, 17.3ppg and 8.8rpg are superstar numbers.
7 WILLIE MILLER / GINEBRA â€“ He is finally adjusting to Ginebraâ€™s offense and this should make other teams wary. The two-time MVP ranks first for the Gins in terms of scoring (15.0ppg) and assists (4.2apg). The fact that he can play alongside Mark Caguioa is a reason why they once won seven straight this conference.
6 ALI PEEK / TALK N TEXT â€“ Letâ€™s face facts here: Peek would have this contribution if not for Ranidel de Ocampoâ€™s injury. However, Ranidel is back but the minutes are still with the Man Mountain. This conference is major 180 from his averages last season.
5 JIMMY ALAPAG / TALK N TEXT â€“ Age is probably filtering his speed but it has yet to hurt his smarts. The wily vet still ranks as one of the best in the game today. He ranks first in scoring (16.3ppg), assists (5.6apg), and minutes (31.5mpg) for the talent-heavy Texters.
4 ARWIND SANTOS / SAN MIGUEL â€“ The Spiderman remains one of the best all-around players in the league today. He dishes out the pain by coming up with 16.6ppg, 9.1rpg, 1.0spg, and 1.2bpg. His extremely deceptive arsenal makes his a scary force to be at odds with.
3 HARVEY CAREY / TALK N TEXT â€“ For some, relying merely on rebounds and putbacks doesnâ€™t really make you a superstar. Carey doesnâ€™t want to be seen as one… although with the way he puts up his numbers, he is one. He is third on the list because he is the only player in the rankings that has a double-double with 12.4ppg and a league-leading 12.9rpg.
2 JOE DEVANCE / ALASKA â€“ The Aces faced serious odds this conference because it seems as if the right buttons arenâ€™t working for Team Cone (yup, this is not a typo). Most of their starters are either struggling or inconsistent. Devance could probably be the only player that can prove reliable for the Aces. He is currently averaging 19.8ppg, 8.9rpg, 3.2apg, and 1.2bpg in 37.2mpg.
1 JAY WASHINGTON / SAN MIGUEL â€“ Whenever Washington plays best, fear sets in on San Miguelâ€™s opponents. Fact is Washington can bounce off from one position to another position without missing a beat. He is third for the Beermen in terms of points (15.3ppg) but ranks first in rebounds (9.9rpg) and blocks (1.6bpg) as well as second in minutes played (33.8mpg). Sure, San Miguel is loaded with firepower but you canâ€™t really discount the fact that most of their success this conference came from his doing.
The playoffs are here and I guess we can see Gary David floating out of the rankings. Why, because along with Barako Bull, they have been eliminated from the race.
Talk N Text and San Miguel topped the rankings and they will possibly face off against Alaska, Rain or Shine, or Air21. Ginebra and BMEG are streaking while Meralco boosted its lineup to prepare for the playoffs.
What can the playoffs do to awe the shit out of people?
You need to check the action out for yourselves.
Catch my daily servings at www.sydrified.blogspot.com!
I am so happy that the Talk N Text Tropang Texters decided to activate Ralph Emerson Oreta (or Emmerson Oreta) from the free agent list. When he was in the UAAP, he was a Rookie of the Year winner. He was a good offensive player that I thought had a good upside because he was also defensive-minded. The problem all of a sudden was when the UST Growling Tigers decided to add two offensive scorers in their roster. Inasmuch as Oreta is a good player, having a tandem of Cyrus Baguio and Nino Gelig is just as better.
After UAAP, he started his journey of journeying, having pit stops in various teams in the PBL, NBC, and the Liga Filipinas. The last time I saw him was when he played for that South East Asian Games squad that wound up winning the gold medal in 2007. I thought heâ€™ll be picked up in free agency but he this wasnâ€™t the case. Prior to playing as a Tropang Texter, he was part of the Pampanga Buddies squad that also comprised of UST alums like Jemal Vizcarra, Allan Evangelista, Don Villamin, and Christian Luanzon, former UPHR Altasâ€™ Khiel Misa, former San Beda Red Lion Francis Mercado, former PBA vet and FEU Tamaraw Chris Nicdao, former pro and Letran Knight JP Alcaraz, current Rain or Shine Elasto Painter Larry Rodriguez, and current Tropang Texter Jared Dillinger.
While I donâ€™t think heâ€™ll be in the roster long enough to make a name for himself, at least heâ€™s enjoying the perks that Kelly Williams left when he was loaned to the Asian Games.
By the way, if Marcus Douthit was there, we could have won at least a medal.
President Noynoy Aquino never ceases to amaze me. Sure, he is the son of democratic royalty, but for some insane reason heâ€™s turning out to be some sort of a tyrant. It helps actually in terms of cleaning the government because the stench of terms long ago canâ€™t be dealt overnight. But had Noynoy signed the bill that would naturalize Douthit, the Philippines wouldnâ€™t lag as far as sixth place.
And as if people would care… the lack of coverage over the regionâ€™s most awaited sports spectacle was appalling.
So the Philippines managed to score three gold medals. Overall, Team Pilipinas managed to claim three golds, nine silvers, and nine bronze medals. While this haul was good enough to rank the country in the Top 20, are we sure that we are ready for the 2012 London Olympics? While we won three gold medals, we won in the events of billiards, boxing, and bowling. Billiards and bowling are two sports that is not part of the Olympics. Add that with chess where we won a silver medal and dancesport where we won two bronze medals and we find ourselves lost for the Olympics.
Back when Roel Velasco, Eric Canoy, Harry Tanamor, and Onyok Velasco were playing for the flag, we used to collect a huge amount of medals in boxing. Sure, we have a powerful taekwondo team but boxing has been our brightest spot. The sport has given us two silver medals and three bronze medals. But right now?
You can blame this all you with the various sports programs in the country but unless they get support from the government, the elusive gold will continue to be a dream.
I just realized that Kelly Williams, Sol Mercado, and Asi Taulava have returned to their respective ball clubs.
Poor Emerson Oreta then as he returns back to the reserved list.
Designed for explosive players like LeBron James, the LeBron 8 is built on a basketball specific Max Air 360 unit, combined with Flywire technology, for the ultimate cushioning with lightweight comfort and lockdown. On November 27, 2010, inspired by LeBron Jamesâ€™ move to Miami, 35 pairs of the Nike LeBron 8 South Beach edition will be available in the Philippines.
Taking into account the colorful lifestyle of Miami, the special edition Nike LeBron 8 South Beach has a teal and black scheme that represents the bright light, fast living lifestyle of the Miami area. The shoe is also packed with performance enhancing technologies like lightweight multidirectional herringbone pattern specifically designed for quick cuts, the dual density molded internal collar foam that provides elevated lockdown and comfort and the increased height differential between the collar and heel which results in better lock down and more Achilles flexion.
The limited edition shoe will be released November 27, 2010 exclusively at Titan through lottery. Stubs will be issued at 6PM and the lottery will begin at 8PM. The shoe will retail for Php 7,995.
Titan is located at Forbeswood Heights along Rizal Drive, cor. Burgos Circle, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig.
For more information call +63 (2) 6593893, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.titan22.com.
By the way, if you want to see the Top 50 players making the list as well as my daily content, then visit www.sydrified.blogspot.com.
Here are the Top 10 seeds to claim the Best Player of the Conference award. These guys are the anchors of their teamâ€™s superb win-loss recordsâ€¦ or basically they hogged every stat available for a 48-minute match without caring if their team wins or loses.
10 RUDY HATFIELD / GIN KINGS
Ginebraâ€™s backcourt is superbly deep. Willie Miller and Mark Caguioa are battling with each other on who among them is the top scoring monster in their roster while Jayjay Helterbrand is averaging his lowest since his rookie year (this was when Helterbrand was Bal Davidâ€™s backup). Whoever the small guys are, the H-Bomb is comfortably at the starting PF spot. The leagueâ€™s rebounding leader is averaging 30 minutes a night. Let the small guys score for all he cares because he will be the one taking the rebounds.
9 DONDON HONTIVEROS / BEERMEN
He is smoking hot just like Valerie Concepcionâ€™s FHM covers! Yesâ€¦ I had to say that. When the defense is doubling towards J-Wash and the Spiderman, this prompts the Beermen to call the Cebuano Hotshot to create offensive flurry. You know heâ€™s doing extra spicy damage when his 3-point percentage is higher than his total field goal percentage. In three outings, he has scored 20 points and moreâ€¦ thrice.
8 KELLY WILLIAMS / TROPANG TEXTERS
Ever since he moved to Talk N Text, he has yet to provide the offensive goodness he had when he was playing for the Sta. Lucia Realtors. This is such a pity because he is still leading the Tropang Texters in minutes. But letâ€™s face it, his bad game is probably the best game a random rookie or benchwarmer can have. Perhaps the learning experience he will get from his Asian Games stint would catapult his stats. More soâ€¦ heâ€™ll play inspire ball when they clinch gold.
7 MACMAC CARDONA / BOLTS
Itâ€™s been a rollercoaster ride for the man they call Captain Hook. In his new role as Ryan Gregorioâ€™s go-to-guy, he struggled to make the offensive plays they need. He managed to bounce back in scoring but an injury sidelined him for two games. At the start, Meralco looked golden with Cardona and Asi Taulava leading the charge but their inability to produce big-time digits caused their squad to languish with an under .500 record. Time for Captain Hook to step up big!
6 SOLOMON MERCADO / ELASTO PAINTERS
The Sol Trainâ€™s exit en route to the Guangzhou gave Rain or Shine a huge void to fill up. Mercado is the teamâ€™s scoring and assists leader. Caloy Garcia had to level with Sol because at this stage, he cannot be at odds with one half of his teamâ€™s one-two punch. Under .500, the Elasto Painters are counting the days when Jonathan Uyloan returns to the reserve list and Mercado returns to his spot. Problem is, during his Asian Games stint, he aggravated his nagging injury. Calot Garcia hates this news.
5 HARVEY CAREY / TROPANG TEXTERS
Carey is getting the stats with little fanfare. He does what he does and he does it good. With much of the offensive load reserved to the backcourt, Carey is letting it known that he shouldnâ€™t be a person to look down on. He ranks second in his team in points and he is third in the league in rebounds. Moreover, he is also the only player in the Philippine Cup to average in double-doubles. If you look at it, this is not bad for a player who gained a lot of offensive plays because Ranidel de Ocampo got injured.
4 GARY DAVID / TIGERS
He is Mr. Pure Energy. He is the leading scorer of the league today and only Arwind Santos and the Alaska trio of Joe Devance, Cyrus Baguio, and LA Tenorio rank higher in minutes. Whenever he is in the game, expect him to shine especially since he averages 19 shots per contest. However, could the reason be that David is the only scoring option for the Tigers? This feat could even be better if Powerade at this point didnâ€™t have three wins in ten games.
3 ARWIND SANTOS / BEERMEN
The Spiderman is one of the reasons why San Miguel is on top of the standings. He continues to confuse his opponents because he has the ability to play all five positions with ease. Sure, it seems like he and Jay Washington are destroying each otherâ€™s chances to claim the Best Player cite but whenever they are together, most of the time their opponents find themselves in a bind. He is the Beermenâ€™s top scorer and he is also the teamâ€™s second highest rebounder.
2 JAY WASHINGTON / BEERMEN
J-Wash is the teamâ€™s third leading scorer and the teamâ€™s leading rebounder and blocker. Fact is, Washington and Santos are play-alikes. Whatever offense he can pull from his bag of tricks, chances are they would be effective. While he nets a lowly 41 percent field goal shooting and 61 percent from the charity stripe, he hits 35 percent from the 3-point area. Despite the resurgence of offensive guns like Santos, Hontiveros, Alex Cabagnot, and Danny Seigle, expect J-Wash as one of their keys to victory.
1 JOE DEVANCE / ACES
JDV takes the cake by averaging 20.1ppg (second in league), 8.9rpg (second in team), 2.8apg (third in team), and 1.4bpg (first in team). He has been dominant for the Aces but I believe his top stint will face if the Aces canâ€™t buy a string of victories. With the current inconsistent hellhole the Aces are in right now, The Speaker of the House is the lone bright spot of the squad. But fact is Devance is the top player because Tim Cone doesnâ€™t depend on their bench much. Aside from Devance, only Cyrus Baguio is the top offensive threat of the squad with Tenorio, Tony dela Cruz, and Sonny Thoss getting the breaks when JDV and Skyrus are better. Sure, he is scoring the shots that matterâ€¦ but for how long?
With the playoffs right around the corner, it is settled that the Beermen could pretty much hold at least a twice-to-beat advantage. This should scare Barako Bull and Powerade since they are the two in the gutter but from the cluster in the third to tenth spots, anything can happen.
Before the year ends, the last Power Rankings will be seen.
Until then, game over.
- BAKIT CAPS MAG-TWEET SI CHINO TRINIDAD? GALIT? #
- am re-watching the fight via gma’s super delayed telecast, tel sev sarmenta let his mates do sme talkin too and not shout lyk 90% of d time #
- http://goo.gl/Gyg6Q Manny Pacquiao is A Superstar, A Hero and My New Celebrity Crush #
- http://goo.gl/7XzIA take a look at margarito. reason y delahoya quit, clottey didnt punch. #
- magaritos face broken. laurence cole is stupid for not stopping the fight. and so his corner #
- http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5805223 ill make a new blog teddyatlasisnuts.com #
- guardian – “He is a great champion, perhaps an even greater human being” http://goo.gl/Y8PEm #